Important – Please Read
As of December 2020
Due to travel restrictions in Bali, we have changed the dates of this training to: December 4-11, 2021.
If you are interested in attending, you are welcome to place your name on our wait list by completing the form below. You will be asked:
- to pay a non-refundable wait list administration fee of USD $3
- to provide your first name, last name, email address and your country of residence
On or about 4 September, 2021, you will receive an email from us either to offer you a space in the training or to cancel the training. If we are able to hold the training, we will be in touch in the order that your request to be on the wait list was received.
Essential teachings on Yin Yoga, Mindfulness and how to sequence Yang poses with Yin sequences with Sarah Powers
For Teachers and Dedicated Practitioners
This course is intended to deepen one’s understanding of the experiential, philosophical and practical application of yoga and meditation. It is intended for those with at least two years of practice or more. It is recommended that you have attended a prior teacher training course if you intend to teach this material. It will benefit most people to have taken a 200-500 hour yoga training program before coming to Sarah’s 8 day Primary Level. This is not essential for those interested in simply cultivating their own practice.
This intensive will deepen one’s ability to teach/practice both a receptive Yin style and an active flow or Yang style of yoga with an interest in promoting a conducive inner environment for meditation. Please come with a basic understanding of the practices (having read Sarah’s book Insight Yoga), and a strong interest in committing to the further exploration of both yoga and meditation.
This is a 60-hour Yoga Alliance training and attendance in the entire program is required. In order to be eligible to receive the Certificate of Completion for this course, you must attend all of the hours of the training, and complete the required assigned essay. Please plan your time and travel accordingly in order to not miss any of the sessions. Each day will include two hours on Yin Yoga, two hours on Yang Yoga, and two hours on Mindfulness Meditation.
This course, Primary Level Insight Yoga Teacher Training Intensive is the prerequisite for the Secondary Level Insight Yoga Teacher Training Intensive: Inner pranic practices and further Mindfulness training with Yin Yoga sequences course.
In this Primary Level training we will explore:
- Yin Yoga — how, why and when to practice this style safely and effectively
- Organ health and Yoga practice (sequences for the kidneys, liver, etc.)
- Balancing the Yin style with a Yang practice to support structural strength and stability
- Proper physical alignment in active postures
- The primary focus of ujjayi breath in asana: length, depth and direction
- Mindfulness in asana
- Sequencing of postures for various levels, from the beginner to the intermediate
- How to assist those with injuries
- The use of touch and hands-on adjustments
- Skillful verbal communication
- The teacher/student relationship
The physical discipline of hatha yoga centers on the harmonious embodiment of postures. How we practice these postures is as important as which asana we choose and how we orchestrate them. Increasing our repertoire of different ways to practice allows us to vary our sequences at different times in our life, continually keeping the practice appropriate as well as fresh and alive.
- Subtle body anatomy according to Yogic and Chinese philosophy
- Meridian theory and Chinese Medicine
- Buddhist Psychology and emotional maturity
Pranayama is the expansion of the life force through breath regulation. It is the profound practice of circulating and redistributing prana in both the physical and subtle body through various breathing and visualization practices.
Overview of Pranayama practices:
- Kumbhaka (breath retention)
- Nadi Shodhana (alternate nostril breathing)
- Kapalabhati (breath of fire)
The essence of a committed yoga practice is meditative focus and awareness. Developing and sustaining a formal meditation practice can be a continual source of insight, rejuvenation and compassion. It is a practice that can reveal and disempower our negative, fragmented aspects while potentially revealing our essential nature. Meditation can also deepen one’s awareness and acceptance of oneself and of the world, deepening one’s openness and wakefulness. We will discuss and practice Buddhist mindfulness meditation (Sati Patthana–The Four Foundations of Mindfulness), with an emphasis on how to share these practices with others.
Study and Reading
Acquiring an intellectual understanding of the rich diversity of Yoga and Buddhism inspires one’s dedication to the path of awakening; it also fosters a clear level of communication and discussion with others.
Students are required to read the books and view the DVD assigned for this training before they arrive. Readings from these books and viewing of the DVD are an integral part of the training so please order the materials upon registration of the course so you have ample time to read/view them before the training begins.
Outside reading prior to and during the course will be required to enrich one’s overall understanding. You will also be asked to write a 2-3 page paper on Yin yoga and Mindfulness meditation upon completion of the course for assessment prior to the certificate being issued.
A teacher-training manual with articles will be handed out on the first day of class. Everyone will also be required to bring Sarah’s book Insight Yoga to class, and to have viewed, at minimum, her video, Insight Yoga.
Required reading and viewing:
- Insight Yoga by Sarah Powers
- Insight Yoga (Video) by Sarah Powers
- Yin Yoga: Principles and Practice by Paul Grilley
- Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Gunaratana
- Buddhism: A Concise Introduction by Huston Smith
Suggested listening and viewing:
Location: Radiantly Alive – Ubud, Bali
Dates: December 4-11, 2021
Time: 11am – 5pm daily
Important: Please read this document before registering.
Students will be responsible for booking their own accommodations. Here are some accommodations available suggested by Radiantly Alive.
Questions about this Training?
For course inquiries, please contact Tripti Mahendra at Tripti@SarahPowers.com.
A message from Ty Powers:
I would like to provide some perspective about our policies. While you may feel that these terms are unnecessarily strict, they have evolved over our years of offering teachings around the world.
When we plan retreats/trainings, we must sign contracts with retreat centers and pay for a required number of attendees well in advance of your registration/payment in order to secure the kinds of venues you, our students, appreciate.
When we are asked to transfer or refund within a 12-week period in advance of a retreat or training, these requests are very difficult to consider. With transfer and refund requests, as mentioned above, the funds have already been committed to the specific venue.
Many of you have told us that you see that we have a waitlist in place and it should be no issue to fill your spot. In our experience, we have found that it is very rare that another student can respond within the 12-week window, even if they had asked to be on a waitlist. For those of you who have attended a retreat/training, organizing this amount of time away from your work and home life, as you know, is not easily accomplished and takes time and preparation.
Because of these circumstances, we ask that you read our provisions carefully, and confirm your acceptance before proceeding to registration. Please note that it is important that you review and understand the terms for each workshop/retreat/training that you register for as these vary based on the various venues where we teach.
If you are concerned about having to cancel your attendance, then please consider protecting your investment by purchasing trip cancellation insurance coverage.
We want you to know that we are sympathetic to your life circumstances, but we cannot make exceptions to these policies. Please know we are extremely grateful for your ongoing interest and support.
- Payment must be made in full at the time of registration.
TUITION CANCELLATION THROUGH INSIGHT YOGA INSTITUTE:
- All cancellations must be made in writing to The Insight Yoga Institute.
- If you cancel between registration and September 11, a 25% cancellation fee per person will be charged based on amount paid.
- If you cancel between the period September 11 – December 4, a 100% cancellation fee per person will be charged based on amount paid.
- The Institute’s cancellation policy is firm.
- No transfers between retreats, trainings, and/or workshops.
- No transfers of registrations between attendees.
- No refunds will be made for failure to attend or failure to complete the retreat.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY:
- Sarah and/or Ty Powers and/or The Insight Yoga Institute cannot be responsible or liable for any injury, loss or damage of property, or disruption of any program due to circumstances beyond their control.
- I am participating in Yoga Teacher Trainings, Intensives, Silent Retreats and/or Workshops offered by Sarah and/or Ty Powers and/or The Insight Yoga Institute during which I will receive information and instruction about yoga and health. I recognize that yoga requires physical exertion that may be strenuous and may cause physical injury, and I am fully aware of the risks and hazards involved.
- I understand that it is my responsibility to consult with a physician prior to and regarding my participation in the Yoga Teacher Trainings, Intensives, Silent Retreats and/or Workshops. I represent and warrant that I am physically fit and I have no medical condition that would prevent my full participation in the Yoga Teacher Trainings, Intensives, Silent Retreats and/or Workshops.
- In consideration of being permitted to participate in Yoga Teacher Trainings, Intensives, Silent Retreats and/or Workshops, I agree to assume full responsibility for any risks, injuries or damages, known or unknown, which I might incur as a result of participating in the program.
- In further consideration of being permitted to participate in Yoga Teacher Trainings, Intensives, Silent Retreats and/or Workshops, I knowingly, voluntarily and expressly waive any claim I may have against Sarah and/or Ty Powers and/or The Insight Yoga Institute for injury or damages that I may sustain as a result of participating in the program.
- I, my heirs or legal representatives forever release waive, discharge any covenant not to sue Sarah and/or Ty Powers and/or The Insight Yoga Institute for any injury or death caused by their negligence or other acts.
- I agree to hold Sarah and/or Ty Powers and/or The Insight Yoga Institute harmless for any injury caused to me during the practice indicated above.
RELEASE: I am aware that I may be included in photographs taken at any Sarah Powers or Insight Yoga Institute event that may be used on www.SarahPowers.com and associated social media websites.
PROCESS FOR REQUESTING REGISTRATION:
Step 1: Please complete the information below.
Step 2: Please submit payment using a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express only) below. We are not accepting payment via PayPal for this teaching.
- The payment you are making is for the course tuition only, US $1,550.
- This registration request is for a space within the training session itself.
- Accommodations are not included. You are responsible for your own bookings.
- All requests will be handled in the order they are received.
Step 3: Upon successful completion of your payment, you will receive a receipt for your payment via email.
Step 4: You will receive an email from us within 48 hours confirming your space within this training.
- Please Note: Cancellation provisions for tuition payments as noted above. The cancellation provisions for accommodations will be different based on where you book, so please read both carefully so you are aware of each before registration.
ENTER YOUR NAME AND SUBMIT PAYMENT: